Current research interests
- Live sound reinforcement optimization
- Diffuse signal processing in live sound
- Low-frequency sound source localization
- Calibration techniques for cinema subwoofer systems
- Low-frequency acoustic modelling (FDTD and image source)
- Real-time auralization for use at live events and in related education
I’m typically involved in the supervision of a handful of PhD students within the Entertainment Engineering subject area at the University of Derby. Funded PhD studentships or GTA positions regularly become available and I do my best to advertise them here. If you’re interested in doing a PhD in an audio-related topic, feel free to get in touch.
Current PhD students:
- Ross Hammond (2017 – present), Applications of auralization in live sound reinforcement (1st supervisor)
- Jonathan Moore (2015 – present), Diffuse signal processing in live sound reinforcement (1st supervisor)
- Charlie Middlicott (2015 – present), Higher Order Spherical Microphone Array Development for Increased Spatial Resolution (2nd supervisor)
- Mark Dring (2015 – present), Analysis and optimization of small room acoustics (2nd supervisor)
- Co-Chair, AES Technical Committee on Acoustics and Sound Reinforcement
- Head of Content, IOA Electro-Acoustics Group Committee
- Reviewer, IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing
- Reviewer, Audio Engineering Society (journal and conventions/conferences)
- Co-organizer, 2nd/3rd IEEE Computer Science & Electronic Engineering Conference (CEEC)
- Membership: MAES, MIEEE, MIET, AMIOA, FHEA
- 18 of the Last 9 honoree – Miami University, November 2013.
- 4th East Anglian Tri-University Ph.D. Competition, May 2010.
- IET Anglian Coastal Present Around the World Competition, March 2010.
Past invited talks and tutorials
- Live sound subwoofer system design. AES New York. October, 2017.
- Live sound subwoofer system calibration. AES Warsaw, May 2015.
- Chameleon subwoofer arrays. AES London, October 2011.
- An introduction to chameleon subwoofer arrays. ISVR, July 2010.
- An introduction to audio systems, CEEC, September 2010.